by improving education and training
of public health professionals
for both practice and research
Updating Core Competencies In Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (UCCAIDE)
The aim of this project, carried out by ASPHER for ECDC was to review and update the core competencies in applied infectious disease epidemiology for mid-career applied epidemiologists, based on previous ECDC work in this area.
A mixed-methods approach was applied to bring together different European partners from the policy, practice and academic sectors. This involved a literature review, as well as a qualitative and quantitative data collection and validation process.The result of this process was the production of a framework, listing 157 competencies grouped into six subject areas:
- Essential methods for applied infectious diseases epidemiology
- Preparedness, surveillance and response to infectious disease outbreaks
- Communication and advocacy
- Practice of infectious disease epidemiology
- Contextual influences on infectious disease management
- Leadership and management
This competency framework can potentially be used for training needs assessments in
- public health institutions
- individual assessments
- writing vacancy notices and professional development planning.
The harmonisation of competencies used in applied epidemiology will facilitate collaboration and the use of a common language among professionals tackling cross-border health threats in Europe.